If Team Murray was hoping the Governor's extensive second term travel plans would afford the LG a great chance to 'appear gubernatorial' in the public eye, well in advance of 2014, then this first go-round has been something of a disaster. Let's review the low-lights of Acting Governor Murray's 'first term':
- Just before the Gov went wheels up, he apparently handed his LG a big bag of trouble labeled "Big Dig light-bombs," and said something along the lines of, "here, you handle this Tim."
- For unexplained reasons, the Acting Gov felt compelled to weigh in on the Japanese nuclear crisis, and in so doing he revealed a fundamental lack of understanding of how the Commonwealth's sole nuclear plant operates.
- Speaker DeLeo and Senate President Murray canceled the regular weekly leadership meeting. DeLeo's spokesman explained, "We were not aware there was leadership. Leadership does not take place when the principals are not together." Whether he also patted the Acting Governor on the head is not yet known.
- He made the rest of the Beacon Hill patronage kings look like amateurs by installing his former top campaign strategist in a brand-new six figure state job.
- Then of course there was the whole Fidelity thing.